Thursday 18 February 2010

Here at Yamasa, we do a lot of written homework. So when my private lesson lead teacher, Matsuyama-sensei, suggested that I develop the habit of writing a Japanese diary, to be presented and corrected daily, I stifled an inner groan.

How could I sugar-coat this task or render it more appealing? Option (1): slip in outrageous lies and see if my teacher notices / blushes / no longer requests diary. Probably not the done thing in Japan. Option (2): buy something with an attractive design from the 100-yen shop in the hope I will take pride in ensuring the contents live up to its cover. (At the risk of being blatantly sexist, experience of working in a secondary school suggests this is the kind of thing only girls do.)

And here it is: my new diary, with its "chirruped forest" logo. A catchprase which, astonishingly, yields two search results when googled.


It has quickly become one of my current favourite 'Engrish' possessions, possibly overtaking my 'Terrific power!' multi-purpose-claptrap storage case (see below), which gives me such a great sense of liberty whether I'm storing peanuts or carrying my electric toothbrush overseas. (I plan to submit the latter to the magnificent http://www.engrish.com/.)


Whilst on the subject of Engrish, here are two of the best T-shirt designs I have seen worn, in all likelihood innocently and obliviously, by Japanese (photos taken during previous visits to Japan):

from 2008, taken at Matsue Castle: "for 6[9,000] yen, esta Puta will let you take the shirt off her back".


from 2009, Kyoto: "Save the Planet. We are the World Banana Seven".

If you're also a fan, you might want to stop by http://www.graniph.com/en/news/index.html, where I am a repeat customer. Their T-shirts make for memorable birthday presents.  
Sure beats Frankie Says...

No comments:

Post a Comment